Thursday, August 16, 2012

Recipes Galore

I feel bad for not posting for so long. Things have just been so busy around here and kinda took priority away from this blog. But I still love you. And I've been good. Still ticking along with my challenges.  Today, in fact, is to show how well I'm coming along with challenge #18 having made 2 more recipes from it over the past couple weeks and another tonight! What a good girl.

 The first I would like to share though is just an old favourite - Peach or apple cobbler.  I have a new trick which threw up a yummy result.

I basically make my cobbler with a normal crumble base and add something to it like cream or milk so I can mould the balls for the top. A couple of weeks back I only had thickened cream in the house (I'm very much a 'throw in what you got kinda cook) so in it went. Well, it made the lightest, most beautiful topping you could imagine.  Try it if you like cobbler :)


Secondly, I have two chicken dishes for you. An oldie but a goodie - Chicken Cordon Bleu with a variation you might like to try (: and Easy Peasy Chicken Pasta.

I have a confession. The chicken cordon bleu I'm about to share was supposed to involve a vegetable and be known as Chicken Supreme. But I don't dig asparagus so I subbed it with ham. I will give both recipes here (:

Chicken Cordon Bleu (Or Chicken Supreme)
1 chicken fillet per person
Tasty cheese - sliced
1 4x4 sandwich ham for every breast (cordon bleu) Bunch of fresh asparagus (supreme) 
Flour, Egg & milk to coat
Breadcrumbs (I like to add paprika, garlic salt and parmesan to my crumbs)
A little olive oil

1. Slice each breast in half to form a pocket (I hate doing this and as you'll see form the photos never do a good job but I hear Rachel Ray has a good video - check it out here).

2. Fill with cheese and asparagus/ham. Close each breast with toothpicks.

3. Coat chicken with flour, then egg mixture and roll in breadcrumbs.


4. In an electric frying pan lined with baking paper add the olive oil and cook until golden brown, Turn and repeat. Approx 4-5 minutes on each side is enough.
I have a husband who is terrified of chicken not being cooked so as you will see I didn't fry mine we did it in the over - still yummy :)

The last recipe I'll share with you today got the following comment from my husband;
"Can we put this on the have all the time menu"?
Meaning, not just a once off because you're trying it from your cook everything cook book.
Yep, it was that good, and because it was so easy I was able to say yes we will make it a reoccurring meal! We both concurred though that in future it would need bacon... what doesn't need bacon right?

Easy Peasy Chicken (and bacon!) Pasta
1T Butter
500g chicken breast fillets thinly sliced
1 clove crushed garlic
Generous sprinkle chopped chives
Salt to taste
2T fresh parsley, finely chopped
300ml Cream (I used light cream and hubby didn't even know!)
Pepper
250g dried pasta
(and I recommend) 4-6 strips of bacon sliced

1. Heat the butter on a medium heat in an electric frying pan lined with baking paper. Add the chicken, garlic, chives and salt.

2. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley, cream, (bacon), pepper and finally the hot cooked pasta. Stir through to combine.

3. Serve - YUM! Told ya it was easy peasy!
I have mine with Parmesan sprinkled on top.

No comments: